April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Newest Members
Michael Brennan, Beatrice Doran, Joe Kenny, Tony Brady, James Peters
544 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21431 - 03/09/18 01:11 AM AGM  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,758
John Maguire Offline
Committee Member
John Maguire  Offline
Committee Member
Regular

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,758
Dublin 12
THE A.G.M. will be held on April 4th in the Cricket Club. Official email will be sent to all members along with the Agenda for the meeting. The Meeting will commence at 19:45 and we hope to have the usual training at 20:30 or earlier. I have been on the Committee for several years and Chairperson for the last 5 year. I will be stepping down at the A.G.M. as Chairperson and Committee Member. Several other committee members are retiring but I cannot confirm exactly who will remain if any. One Member has come forward and is prepared to put their name forward. If ClubMac is to continue we need at least 3 more new Committee members. If we cannot get a new Committee formed then ClubMac will have to close in May. If a Committee can be formed and the Club continues, then I propose having a special May Meeting with a training session by Noel Davidson and also another session with Vincent Quinn on Computer maintenance and keeping older Macs in good health. We would also need to collect Annual Subscriptions.

#21439 - 04/05/18 11:51 AM Re: AGM [Re: John Maguire]  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,758
John Maguire Offline
Committee Member
John Maguire  Offline
Committee Member
Regular

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,758
Dublin 12
Following the AGM the Club is still at a Crossroads or even a Dead End or T Junction.. A few would still like the Club to continue but there not enough people to form a Committee. The problem with many is we cant make every meeting, I cant make all the Meetings and dont want to be depended on to drop everything else to come along as I have family commitments. We do have one potential member for Chairperson. One or maybe two others would consider being on the Committee as back up but we still need someone to do Club Secretary which really needs someone who can come to all the meetings, and we need s Treasurer, that role is important but doesn't have to come to all the meetings. I do have a suggestion of reducing the amount of meetings to 6 year, find a different venue. There is a possible venue in Rathmines but parking is at a premium but the venue is excellent and could be negotiated for a lot less and it has tea making facilities. We could also possibly avoid the expensive insurance that the Cricket Club demand for renters. Its not far from the LUAS at the City end of Rathmines Road. We could also look into using the new Facilities in the Dun Laoghaire Library.

If a few were to come along to do the 2 specific roles I am sure the former Committee members would show them what to do.

However we cant go along on hope or wait until September, we really need a few new people to give some sort of Commitment in the next few weeks.

We still have Noel Davidson to do Training in the future and Vincent Quinn. Peter O'Reilly will come along most meetings for the Technical Queries as well.
We ended up with an excellent training session yesterday with Vincent Quinn and I know it went down well and Vincent came along at less than an hours notice .

Last edited by John Maguire; 04/05/18 12:06 PM.
#21440 - 04/13/18 06:12 AM Re: AGM [Re: John Maguire]  
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,133
Richard Bannister Offline
Committee Member
Richard Bannister  Offline
Committee Member
Regular

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,133
Dublin, Ireland
I don't think that the time of Mac user groups is necessarily gone – http://www.capmac.org/ is a good example of what can be done – but the reality for ClubMac is that our membership has been declining for years and we haven't had new members coming in.

To keep the club going at this point we would need two things, I think

a) a new committee
b) a significant influx of new members

Right now I see no sign of either.


Noli umquam docere porcum cantare; perdes tempus et irritabis porcum.
#21441 - 04/17/18 08:37 AM Re: AGM [Re: John Maguire]  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,758
John Maguire Offline
Committee Member
John Maguire  Offline
Committee Member
Regular

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,758
Dublin 12
Here is the AGM report, We are still waiting for your responses please send them asap.

The 2018 Annual General meeting of ClubMac was held at
the Merrion Cricket Club on Wednesday 4th April


The Annual General Meeting was called to order at 8.45 p.m.
with Garrett Wren, current Treasurer and founder member of ClubMac in the chair.
20 members being present, the requisite forum of 10 had thereby been attained


The provisionl agenda of the meeting was read and approved. The minutes of the 2017 Annual General Meeting, which had been circulated to Club members in May 2017 and received no adverse comment, together with the minutes recently circulated of the recent Extraordinary Meeting and the recent paper on The Future of Club Mac, were taken as read and approved.

Consideration of candidates for the officers and management committee of the Club

The Chairman, speaking as Treasurer of the Club, introduced a paper setting out income and expenditure of the Club during the years 2015, 2016 and 2017. It was evident that the Club was and had been for some time operating on its reserves. Restoring viability would require an increased subscription to meet operating costs, which included insurance (some €300 per annum, i.e. €40 per meeting). Merrion Cricket Club's requests for room rental payment was irregular and often in arrears, skewing the Club's accounts. Income from subscriptions was static at some €800 annually, while that from meetings was down as attendance had declined, However, the real issue currently before the Club was not its finance but its very existance.

Adoption of the Treasurer's report was proposed by Tom Martin, seconded by Joe Fletcher and adopted unanimously.

One volunteer (Nigel Russell) stated his willingness to stand for election to Chairman. Acceptance of this offer was proposed by Peter O'Reilly, seconded by Susan McCarrick and adopted unanimously.

A further volunteer (Tom Duggan) stated willingness to stand for election as officer or committee member.

A lengthy discussion ensued giving evidence of many members' reluctance to wind the Club up immediately, although a willingness was evident to consider changes to meeting schedules and venues to ensure survival. Decline in membership was acknowledged and lower attendance at meetings recognised. However, great value was placed by many on the opportunity offered by the Club to discuss current trends and problems and the deep appreciation of Noel Davidson's contribution to meetings. Many felt that it would not be immediately possible to find replacements for the current officers and committee members, who would be standing down at the end of the evening.

In view of the reluctance of many speakers to consider immediate dissolution of the Club, and in recognition of the fact that under the Club's constitution closure of the Club would require the assent of three fourths of the members present and voting, a requirement which currently could not be met, it was decided not to close the meeting. calling upon the Trustees to wind up ClubMac, but to adjourn the meeting for the present. It was decided to open a new discussion forum, entitled Future of ClubMac, on the Club's website (which was an entity outside the remit of the Club's constitution) where members could express their views on the subject and seek candidates for the officers and committee of the Club. It was decided that the Annual General Meeting would reopen at a date not later than 30 September 2018 for a final decision on the future of the Club. Should it prove impossible to find replacement officers and committee members by that date the meeting would have no option but to call upon the Trustees to wind up ClubMac.

The Annual General Meeting was adjourned at 8.55 p.m.

Last edited by John Maguire; 04/17/18 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling
#21442 - 04/18/18 11:18 AM Re: AGM [Re: John Maguire]  
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 1,140
Tom Martin Offline
Committee Member
Tom Martin  Offline
Committee Member
Regular

Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 1,140
Dublin
I've looked at a number of Mac groups in the UK and with the exception of the London Mac User Group most seem to have scaled down their activities in the last couple of years. The CapMac group that Richard mentions appears to be fortunate in having an active and energetic committee (as an aside, the greater Austin metropolitan area in which it is located has a population of 2 million).

The demise of ClubMac is regrettable but the members should realise that the committee have been undertaking a thankless task (e.g. having to deal with an unreliable venue provider in Merrion Cricket Club) for the last few years with no new blood. I know from experience it must be dispiriting for them to organise monthly meetings — particularly during the winter months — only to find that a handful of members have bothered to attend.

I would suggest that any future ClubMac-like activity should be on the basis of an informal, social occasion (maybe twice a year) which as Stephanie has suggested could be held in a function room attached to a pub or a community centre.

Last edited by Tom Martin; 04/18/18 11:19 AM.

Join the Club
Membership of ClubMac costs €30 for one year and brings many benefits. Click here to learn more.
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums11
Topics4,297
Posts21,066
Members544
Most Online117
Jan 23rd, 2007
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.023s Queries: 14 (0.007s) Memory: 4.9700 MB (Peak: 5.1247 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2018-04-19 13:26:15 UTC